ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ» º º ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ º ɼ ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ º º Û ÜÜÜ Û Û ÜÜÜ Û Û ÜÜÜÜÛ Û ÜÜÜÜÛ Û ÜÜÜ Û º ɼ Û ÜÜÜÜÛ Û ÜÜÜ Û ÛÜÜÜÜ Û Û ÛÜÜÜÜ Û ÛÜÛ Û º º ÛÜÛ ÛÜÛ ÛÜÛ ÛÜÜÜÜÜÛ ÛÜÜÜÜÜÛ ÛÜÜÜÜÜÛ º º º º ÜÜÜÜÜÜ ÜÜÜÜÜÜ ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ º Éͼ Û ÜÜ ÛÜ Û ÜÜ ÛÜ Û ÜÜÜÜÛ º º Û ÜÜÜ Û Û ÜÜÜ Û ÛÜÜÜÜ Û º ɼ ÛÜÜÜÜÜÛ ÛÜÜÜÜÜÛ ÛÜÜÜÜÜÛ º º º ÉÍͼ ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ ÜÜÜÜÜ ÜÜÜ ÜÜÜ ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ ÉÍÍͼ º Û Ü Ü Û Û ÜÜÜ Û Û ÜÜÜÜÛ Û ÜÜÜ Û ÛÜÜÜ ÜÛ ÛÜ ÜÛ Û ßÛÛ Û Û ÜÜÜÜÛ º ɼ Û Û Û Û Û ÜÜÜ Û Û ÛÜÜ Û Û ÜÜÜ Û ÜÛßÜÛÛÜ ÜÛ ÛÜ Û ÛÜß Û Û ÜÜÜÛÜ º ɼ ÛÜÛßÛÜÛ ÛÜÛ ÛÜÛ ÛÜÜÜÜÜÛ ÛÜÛ ÛÜÛ ÛÜÜÜÜÜÛ ÛÜÜÜÛ ÛÜÛßÛÜÛ ÛÜÜÜÜÜÛ º ÌÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÊÍÍÍ» º December 1994 Volume 2 Number 12 º ÇÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄĶ º Board of Trade BBS New Port Richey, Florida (813) 862-4772 º ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ In This Issue ------------- þ The History of the ONE BBSCON þ Surfing the Boards - by Paul Pollack þ Advanced Xoru door game review - by Matt Holden þ 28.8, The New Modems Arrive þ Updated BBS Glossary þ Computer humor and much more! + + + + + Editor's Welcome ---------------- Well, welcome to the last issue of 1994. As we approached the end of the year, I want to take a second to wish all of you the happiest of holiday seasons! This month we continue our comprehensive coverage of the upcoming ONE BBSCON next summer in downtown Tampa, with a look at the history of the event. Paul Pollack has a feature called "Surfing the Boards," which takes a look at some of what can be found in the BBS world. I also wish to thank Paul for the kind words about the Board of Trade BBS. Thanks also go out to Matt Holden for his review of the door game Advanced Xoru. This issue also has a look at the new 28.8 modems and features an updated BBS Glossary. Also, beginning with this issue, we will carry extractions from ROTFL Digest! This on-line humor magazine has been around for awhile, and I want to thank editor Sandy Illes for allowing the reproduction of some of their computer related humor. Thanks for reading, and thanks to everyone who contributed to this issue! + + + + + ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿ ³ PASCO BBS MAGAZINE ³ ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´ ³ EDITOR: Richard Ziegler ³ ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´ ³ HOME BBS: Board of Trade BBS (813) 862-4772 ³ ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´ ³ File request current issue under magic file name PBM. ³ ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ + + + + + History of the ONE BBSCON ------------------------- Jack Rickard, editor of Boardwatch Magazine, and Phil Becker, President of eSoft, Inc., formed ONE, Inc. (Online Networking Expositions, Incorporated) as a vehicle to host the first ONE BBSCON in 1992. Jack Rickard serves as President of ONE, Inc. and Phil Becker acts as Secretary/Treasurer. These two men created, and have nurtured, the Online Networking Exposition and BBS Convention, better known as the ONE BBSCON. The event has grown by leaps and bounds over its three year history and the future looks amazingly bright as the event heads to Tampa in 1995. This article touches on some of the history of what has become the largest gathering of telecommunication enthusiasts to be held each year. The birth of the ONE BBSCON goes back to August of 1991, when an event known as FIDOCON91 was held in Denver. At ONE BBSCON '94, Phil Becker talked about that first BBS related convention. "There was fortuitous FIDOCON in Denver. Which didn't look like a fortuitous event to either Jack or I when it happened, because it was happening in our town and we were going to get roped into it and we weren't real sure we wanted to be involved in it. In fact, it is sort of part of what pushed us into doing ONE BBSCON." Rickard and Becker did the first "Jack and Phil Show" at that FIDOCON and went on to make an American success story out of the ONE BBSCON. The first ONE BBSCON was held the year after the FIDOCON91 at an airport hotel in Denver. There were 950 people at that first time event. The second year almost 2,000 attended the show, which was held 70 miles south in a resort hotel in suburban Colorado Springs. For the third convention, almost 4,000 people showed up in downtown Atlanta. Phil Becker has told the editor of the Pasco BBS Magazine that "this thing is growing at such a curve. I would say that the way we're growing and going, in Tampa we will probably have 7,000 to 8,000 at least." For many Sysops a BBSCON is not only a business trip, but looked upon as a vacation. The first two events were held in the majestic natural beauty of Colorado's Rocky Mountains. 1993's event was held at a sprawling high class resort at the base of Pike's Peak, which provides the splendid scenery that inspired the song "God Bless America." While the downtown Atlanta site may not quite have had the same type of atmosphere, downtown Tampa should provide for a wonderful setting. Those of you who are familiar with the Convention Center, Harbour Island, Franklin Street area know what I mean. Below are the dates and sites of the first three BBSCONs. ONE BBSCON '92 August 13-16, 1992 Stouffer Concourse Hotel, Denver ONE BBSCON '93 August 25-29, 1993 The Broadmoor Hotel, Colorado Springs ONE BBSCON '94 August 17-21, 1994 Marriott Marquis Hotel & Inforum, Atlanta The ONE BBSCON Executive Advisory Board was created from the beginning to represent all the various viewpoints in the on-line world. As Jack Rickard stated at a previous ONE BBSCON, "if we dream it up out of one person's mind, it's naturally going to be a very narrow type view. So, one of the things we wanted to do with ONE BBSCON is include all the views and all the activities." That philosophy is the major underlying theme behind the success of the ONE BBSCON. Below are the members of the Executive Advisory Board for the first three conventions. ONE BBSCON '92 Executive Advisory Board Jim Harrer, President, Mustang Software Fred Clark, President, Clark Development Company, Inc. Tim Stryker, President, Galacticomm, Inc. Steven Laliberte, Director, BIX Online Services Jim C. Warren, MicroTimes and Autodesk, Inc. Dave Hughes Sr., President, Old Colorado City Communications John C. Dvorak, Columnist, PC Magazine Stan Hirschman, Vice President, Store Operations, Software Etc. ONE BBSCON '93 Executive Advisory Board Jim Harrer, President, Mustang Software Fred Clark, President, Clark Development Company, Inc. Tim Stryker, President, Galacticomm, Inc. Steven Laliberte, Director, BIX Online Services Jim C. Warren, MicroTimes and Autodesk, Inc. Dave Hughes Sr., President, Old Colorado City Communications John C. Dvorak, Columnist, PC Magazine Stan Hirschman, Vice President, Store Operations, Software Etc. Lance Rose, LOL Enterprises ONE BBSCON '94 Executive Advisory Board Jim Harrer, President, Mustang Software Jim C. Warren, MicroTimes and Autodesk, Inc. Dave Hughes Sr., President, Old Colorado City Communications John C. Dvorak, Columnist, PC Magazine Stan Hirschman, Vice President, Store Operations, Software Etc. Scott Brinker, President and CEO, Galacticomm, Inc. Lance Rose, LOL Productions Michael Greenbaum, General Manager, Prodigy Services Company The keynote speaker is the last one to talk at Thursday morning's Opening Session and that address sets the tone for the rest of the event. Only a few of the biggest names in the on-line world have had the honor of giving the keynote address at ONE BBSCON. Below are the gentlemen who have had that distinction. ONE BBSCON '92 Keynote Speaker - John C. Dvorak ONE BBSCON '93 Keynote Speaker - Jim C. Warren ONE BBSCON '94 Keynote Speaker - Dennis C. Hayes The educational sessions are one of the major facets of ONE BBSCON and the number of sessions has more than doubled over the three year history of the event. The sessions are arranged in tracks, which have evolved over the three conventions. The BBS Software track has grown to include numerous BBS software packages, some of which people may not have heard of prior to the BBSCON. The connectivity issues have evolved from sessions on how to hook up a BBS to the traditional BBS based networks like FidoNet, to numerous sessions on how to get hooked into the Internet. Of course, there are some sessions which continue to be popular since the first BBSCON. The How to Make Money with a BBS session, better known as the Jack and Phil show, is now a BBSCON tradition. On-line legal expert Lance Rose headed up a track on the legal aspects of bulletin boards at the first ONE BBSCON, and this track has continued to expand with each ensuing convention. Below are the approximate number of educational sessions which have been held at the previous events. ONE BBSCON '92 Educational Sessions - nearly 75 ONE BBSCON '93 Educational Sessions - over 130 ONE BBSCON '94 Educational Sessions - over 170 The ONE BBSCON has grown up over the last three years and offers new and exciting things each year. The trade show part of the event, the vendor exhibits, have grown in size each year. It is possible that close to 200 vendors could be displaying their products at the Tampa event. But, BBSCON still remains reasonably priced. ONE, Inc. has offered an early registration, for those who sign up prior to May 1, which has stayed at the same price the last two years. While the registration fees have not been announced for ONE BBSCON '95, they are not expected to increase. Below is what it cost for early registration over the first three events. ONE BBSCON '92 Early Registration - $125.00 ONE BBSCON '93 Early Registration - $175.00 ONE BBSCON '94 Early Registration - $175.00 Perhaps, as the event continues to grow, the intimacy enjoyed at the early conventions held in mountains of Colorado will be treasured as the last bastions of on-line innocence. There is little doubt, in the minds of most of those who have been lucky enough to attend a ONE BBSCON, that it is one of the friendliest conventions you will ever come across. At ONE BBSCON '93, popular computer columnist John Dvorak joked that he could see a day when 15,000 people would attend the event, which would make Jack Rickard a very rich man. His comment has the potential to become prophecy. Editor's Note: The Pasco BBS Magazine will continue to cover the ONE BBSCON as it heads for the Tampa Convention Center August 16-20, 1995. Look for more coverage of the most exciting event in the history of the Tampa Bay on-line community in next month's issue. + + + + + ÕÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑѸ ÆØØØØØØØØØØØ Board of Trade BBS ØØØØØØØØØص ÆØØØØØØØØØ New Port Richey, Florida ØØØØØØØص ÆØØØØØØØ (813) 862-4772 FidoNet 1:3619/10 ØØØØØص ÆØØØØØ ØØØص ÆØØØ Home of the Pasco BBS Magazine Øص ÆØ Øµ ³ Home of Shadoware ³ ³ ³ ³ Home of the New 813 BBS Directory ³ ³ ³ ÆØ Official Support BBS for Pasco ComPats Computer Club ص ÆØØØ ØØص ÆØØØØØ Member ØØØØص ÆØØØØØØØ Pasco Sysop's Association ØØØØØØص ÆØØØØØØØØØ Electronic Frontier Foundation ØØØØØØØص ÆØØØØØØØØØØØ American BBS Association ØØØØØØØØØص ÔÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏÏϾ + + + + + Surfing the Boards ------------------ Written by Paul Pollack, author of GamePlay, New Port Richey, FL Edited by Alex Thomas, editor of GamePlay, New Port Richey, FL Catchy title, huh? Wasn't that punny? OK, enough with the dumb jokes. Surfing the boards is an article about BBSs in general, with a special focus on electronic gaming. Most of the information will be adequate wherever you live, but there may be an occasional note/emphasis about BBSs in my area (New Port Richey, FL). BBSs, or Bulletin Board Services, have caught on in a big way recently, and with the explosion of the Internet, more people are checking out BBSs than ever before. But why should you and I care about this? The answer is clear. BBSs are filled with tons of files, online games, doors, people to chat with, and much, much, more. Since this (GamePlay) is a gaming magazine, I'll really concentrate on gaming, although there will be a significant amount of information about the other aspects too. BBSs offer a wide variety of service to basically anyone with a few peripherals. To access the wide-world of BBSs you'll need a modem (it's almost a requirement these days to have a 2400, and a 14400 is a lot better), a computer, a telecommunications program, and a hard drive. Actually, you don't need a hard drive, but else you really can't store many of the bigger programs that you download. When you log onto a BBS, you're usually treated with an ANSI/RIP screen giving the name of the BBS, and asking for your name/handle and password. First of all, most of you should be familiar with BBSs, if you're reading this you probably downloaded it from a BBS in your area or a major online service. Just in case you're not familiar with a handle, a handle is an identity you take on a BBS that others on the BBS know you as. Since I don't like getting complicated, my handle on most BBSs is simply Paul Pollack. After that you enter your password and finally get onto the BBS. Once on to a BBS, the approach and software the BBS takes/uses varies widely. There are many BBS programs out there, ranging from the ever-popular Wildcat to the lesser-known VBBS (which was written in QB 4.5, for your information [I think]). Usually, many of the latest versions of these BBS software programs include RIP graphics support, a type of graphical interface used to access the different functions of a BBS. But I've gotten ahead of myself. I said to access a BBS you need a telecommunications program, a program that will allow you to use your modem to dial an online service. There are many different telecommunications packages out there, and many excellent choices. I recommend either of two excellent programs, Telix, and Ripterm. Both Telix and Ripterm are easy to set up and use, with no frustrating and arcane commands. Where Ripterm excels is in its ability to display RIP (short for ripscrip) graphics IF the BBS supports it. When you finally arrive at the main menu of a BBS there are many pathways that you could take. On most BBSs there will be a file section, a message section, a doors/online games section, and a teleconference or chat section, not to mention a few sections unique to that particular BBS. For our purposes we'll concentrate mainly on the doors/online games section and the file section, the chat section will be covered extensively in one of my other articles. At the menu, you'll probably be asked to click on your choice (if it's a ripscrip screen) or to enter the first letter of your choice (if it's an ANSI screen). After going to the online games/doors menu, you'll see a number of Rip-based/ ANSI based games, the most popular of which is TradeWars 2002. Many online doors allow you to compete against other players, although not in real time. In the online games section you'll usually find all kinds of games, from trivia games like Star Trek trivia, to strategy games like Kannons (yes, that's how it's spelled) and Katapults. The games that aren't multiplayer either pit you against yourself (like the trivia games) or the computer (like the previously mentioned strategy games). Many of the games are pretty fun, but the ANSI graphics that plague most of them will undoubtedly turn some folks off. Now we move on to our main focus, the file section. In the file section of the BBS, you'll see a variety of software up for grabs, including some very good games. Unfortunately, most of the files that are on BBSs aren't really that good (I could use other words, but I don't know who reads this magazine, therefore I won't), but many others are. In fact, much of GamePlay magazine was created with freeware/shareware products. If you have a modem, almost any shareware program imaginable can be found on one BBS or another. Let's say you want to find an audio-CD player for your CD-ROM. Just go into your telecommunications program, dial up a local BBS, and search through the different areas and files available. Chances are that at least one BBS in your area will have the files you're looking for. I know that at least one board in my area has a few CD players to download. What else can you find on BBSs today. Let's get back to our main focus, gaming. On BBSs today there are all sorts of games on-line that range from great to not so great (I'm not going to start using expletives). Some of the best games on BBSs are listed in my "Top 10" and "Best Commercial Game Demos" in the article menu, and I even have a mention of where to find many of my game add-ons. On the other hand, many of the games that are out there on BBSs are so dated, that no one will ever download them. On to the CD-ROM areas. On a CD-ROM you can store six-hundred megabytes of information, more than 400 high-density disks! Many times you'll find a ton of good shareware on these CDs, but the problem arises when a BBS keeps using an old CD-ROM. Basically no one finds any new programs interesting on it, and it can't be updated since you can't write to a CD. I've seen one CD that's been on the same BBS for a few years now and it dates back to before Windows 3.1 was released. What I find neat about the Board of Trade BBS and others like it is that you can perform a "Zippy Dir" scan which enables you to search all the directories for a game that has a description with those words in it. Thus, if you wanted to find a neat 3D game, you'd go to the Zippy Dir scan and type 3D, then search all the directories. I've done this a lot, but many of the games I've found are like "3-Demon," an old CGA "ten-step" Pac-man game. Some games, like Billy the Kid, use 3D in the description but aren't 3D games at all. When you're downloading a game, remember that the author of the game is the one who probably uploaded it and typed in the description. I know that I love GamePlay, but others may not think the description appropriate. Shareware authors tend to hype their products, and you'll often find old EGA titles hidden underneath a great description. While on the subject of game descriptions, I'd like to bring up an interesting anecdote that happened to me on a BBS once. I was on a BBS and I saw a game with a description that went something like this: "a game with good graphics." So, like a lot of other people (because it made the top downloads list, so I know I wasn't the only one fooled) I downloaded the program. Unfortunately, I should have looked at the ZIP and guessed what it was and then I wouldn't have to go through this. Anyway, it turned out to be Apogee's Word Rescue program meant for really young kids. Think about it, Word Rescue got around thirty downloads just from putting a description of "a game with good graphics." I oughta try that with GamePlay (just kidding). Just keep in mind that the description the author gives you is not necessarily the correct description of the program, and that's one reason why GamePlay includes file descriptions and not just lists. Another nice aspect of BBSs is the teleconference available on multi-line BBSs which enable you to chat real-time between you and the other users. Unfortunately, even on a local BBS that said that it was for people of all ages, I found the people at the teleconference talking about some more (im)mature topics. Let's just say that you wouldn't want your five-year old to hear it. Some people in the teleconference aren't very mature at all mentally, and many of the people talking about these immature topics are still in school, which gives a horrific idea of the future of America. One of the few things I do like about chatting on BBSs is that you don't take into account what the person looks like, you take into account how the person acts, and then, after meeting the person in real life, you actually know them, and you disregard the split-second subconscious judgements you make about how they look. On a related topic is chatting with the sysop, which can range from a fairly pleasant experience provided he's a nice sysop (Board of Trade, for example) to a downright ugly experience (I'm not going to mention any BBS for fear of being sued for this one). On some BBSs, the sysop will make derogatory comments to you, and give you long explanations about why you can't even upload anything and then ask you to voice verify. Most sysops are pretty much OK and shouldn't bother you too much, and most of the good conversation on BBSs are with the sysops rather than other users. But now the question everyone's has been waiting for: What do I like in a BBS. I'll give you an example and hopefully it'll answer the question. I used to thoroughly enjoy calling a BBS called Gateways. It, like all the BBSs I like, had a friendly sysop, lots of files, tons of doors, and well-split up file sections. Not only did he have one for games, but one for top-10 games. Not only did it have online doors, but around forty of them. There were a lot of neat files there, but since it wasn't receiving enough support, it closed down. Nowadays I enjoy calling the Board of Trade BBS, available at (813) 862-4772. It has tons of games, doors, and is an official distribution sight for I don't know how many gaming companies (Apogee, ID, Epic MegaGames to name a few). In case you didn't get the message, the main thing I look for in a BBS is the files, particularly updated and new files. All things considered, the world of BBSs is a compelling world, and one that's well worth the price of admission. The games you play, the files you download, and most importantly, the people you meet all contribute to the BBS experience. Editor's Note: Thanks again to Paul Pollack for another great article. The above is from GamePlay version 8.0 and make sure to look for more from Paul in next month's Pasco BBS Magazine. He has also assembled over 50 of the best Shareware programs on 16 jam packed disks, which is available for only $30 (the price includes all shipping and handling). For further information on this Shareware collection contact Gator's Place BBS (813) 376-0087. Paul can also be reached at Dr. Duck's BBS (813) 849-3562 and the Board of Trade BBS (813) 862-4772. + + + + + ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ» º ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ ÜÜÜ º º ßßßßßÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ º º ßßÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛßß ßÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ º º ßßßß ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ º º ÖÄÒÄ· Ö · ÖÄÄ· Ö¿ Ò ÖÄÄ· Ò Ò ßÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ º º º ÇÄĶ ÇÄ ºÀ¿º ÇÄ ºÖ·º ßßßßÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ º º Ð Ð Ð ÓÄĽ Ð À½ ÓÄĽ Ó½Ó½ ÞÛÛÛÛ ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÝ º º Ö· · ÖÄÄ· ÖÄ¿ ÖÄ¿ ÖÄ· ÞÛÛßÛÛÛ ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ º º ÖÐз º Ķ ÇÄÁ¿ ÇÄÁ¿ ÓÄÄ· ß ÜÛÛ ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ º º ÓÄĽ Ð ÓÄĽ ÓÄÄÙ ÓÄÄÙ ÓÄĽ ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÝ º º ÒÄÄ¿ Ò ÖÄÄ¿ ÖÄÄ· ÖÄÄ· ÖÄÒÄ· ÖÄÄ· ÖÄÄ¿Ò Â ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛßßÛÛÛÛÝ º º º ³ º ÇÄÂÙ ÇÄ º º º º ÇÄÂÙÓÄÒÄÙ ßÛÛÛÛÜ ÜÛÛÛÛÛ º º ÐÄÄÙ Ð Ð Á ÓÄĽ ÓÄĽ Ð ÓÄĽ Ð Á Ð ßÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ º º ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÝ º º Editor and Founder: VOICE:(813) 938-6975 ßÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ º º Clark D. Gilbo DATA:(813) 862-4772 ßÛÛÛß º º FAX:(813) 938-6975* ÜÜþ º º ÜÜßßßß º º º º 4348 Plaza Drive, Suite #V103, Holiday, Florida 34690 º ÌÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ͹ º * TO SEND FAX, Call VOICE First, so I can setup the Fax..Thanks º ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ + + + + + Hallways -------- by Matt Holden, Sysop, Storm's Fury BBS, New Port Richey, FL Welcome to the second Hallway segment. Thanks for reading it! This month, we are reviewing Advanced Xoru by Castle Technologies. We are planning on doing several role play games in a series. The first was last month, in our first edition, the review of Mines of Gorr by S. Jibben. Well, here's what we thought of Advanced Xoru. ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ» º Advanced Xoru º ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Latest version known: ] 5.94 Filename: ] AXRUD594.ZIP Registration: ] $45 Author: ] Castle Technologies ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Available on: The Storm's Fury BBS: (813) 843-8905/849-2272 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Door Types: [X] Role Playing [X] Action [ ] Strategy [ ] Futuristic [X] Adventure [X] Midevil [ ] Sports [ ] Trivia [ ] War [ ] Space [ ] Casino [ ] Trading [ ] TV Show [ ] Board Game [ ] Humorous [ ] Empire-building [ ] Crime [ ] Simulation [ ] Word Game [ ] Rewrite of another game [ ] Other: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Graphics: [X] ASCII [X] ANSI [ ] RIP [ ] EGA [ ] Soundblaster [X] Terminal Term Program filename, if applicable: [ NOT GIVEN ] Multinode Support: [X] YES [ ] NO FOSSIL Required: [ ] YES [X] NO Door Files Supported: [ ] DOOR.SYS SHORT VERSION [X] PCBOARD.SYS [ ] GTUSER.BBS [X] DORINFOx.DEF [ ] PCBOARD.DAT [ ] JUMPER.DAT [X] DOOR.SYS LONG VERSION [ ] CALLINFO.BBS [X] AUNTIE.SYS [ ] SFDOORS.DAT [ ] TRIBBS.SYS [ ] INFO.BBS [ ] CHAIN.TXT [ ] USERINFO.TXT [ ] USERINFO.XBS [ ] OTHER: Required Runtime Libraries: [ ] BRUN25.EXE [ ] BRUN30.EXE [ ] BRUN45.EXE [ ] BRT71EFR.EXE [ ] DORPCH38.EXE [ ] SHARE.EXE [ ] OTHER: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---Reviews--- All categories are scored on a scale of 1 - 10 or - if it does not apply. Reviewer 1: Matt Holden ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Graphics: [ 4 ] Comments: Playability: [ 6 ] Not very graphical, and the commands were hard to Speed: [ 9 ] figure out, but well worth the time to do it.. Not Sound: [ 7 ] sure its worth every penny of $49.95 for registration Interesting: [ 10 ] though. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Reviewer 2: Dan Skelton ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Graphics: [ 2 ] Comments: Playability: [ 4 ] This game is a little difficult to figure out Speed: [ 5 ] at first, but is similar to others when you get Sound: [ 5 ] the hang of it. Needs better graphics and sound Interesting: [ 7 ] to be complete. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Reviewer 3: Chad Day ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Graphics: [ 8 ] Comments: Playability: [ 8 ] Probably the fourth best door I have ever played! Speed: [ 8 ] Sound: [ 8 ] Interesting: [ 8 ] ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Our conclusions: Average Graphics Score: 5 Average Playability Score: 6 Average Speed Score: 7 Average Sound Score: N/A 7 Average Interest Score: 8 Worth registering: YES [ ] NO [ X ] Next Month's Door: [ Aladdin's Lamp Adventure] Thanx to Dan and Chad for playing Advanced Xoru for me. CYa Next Month!!! + + + + + 28.8, The New Modems Arrive --------------------------- When USRobotics released their new 28.8 Courier Dual Standards the Monday before ONE BBSCON '94, I was one of the hundreds of system operators who lined up to purchase them at the Sysop discounted price of $199 each. The BBSCON ran August 17-21 and the modems were to be shipped within three or four weeks. My two brand new Duals were delivered on September 28, but there was no one home to sign for them, so I actually did not have them in hand until the next day. When Sysops upgrade their modems, especially when doubling the speed from 14.4 to 28.8, it is one of the few times they can feel like a new user again. When I got home from work, I quickly opened the box containing one of the new modems. Well, maybe not as quickly as I would have liked. As any Sysop can tell you, there is plenty of daily maintenance which has to be done before any new projects can even be considered. So, after answering mail, checking new files, upgrading new callers and all the rest, I could finally attack those FedEx packages. I cast aside all the manuals and other stuff. I wondered where the T-shirts were that, as I was promised by the USRobotics representative at ONE BBSCON, would be shipped with the modems. I would worry about that later. The box said plug it in and forget it. Sounds good to me. I took the slow and laborious route of reading all the documentation prior to installing this substantial technological upgrade to my board. Yea, right. Within minutes, I had the other box open, had one installed on my board and the other on my voice line and was calling my board. I called my BBS. "CONNECT 14400." Opps, better set that communications program to support the higher speed. Try again. "CONNECT 21600." Fast, but not fast enough. Hang up. "CONNECT 28800." Cool! Still not as fast as the local mode, but a very noticeable increase in the display speed of the screens. Cool! Lets try a download and see this baby fly. I want my 3000cps! Oh boy, that line had only been used for a 2400 baud modem and was not even grounded. Errors, errors, errors. Low cps, bummer. Abort transfer. Need to work on eliminating the noise. How about trying to call another board with the BBS line itself. Lets do it! Called Software Creations on their 28.8 rotary group. "CONNECT 24600." Not 28.8, but lets see what happens. Lets try to download the latest USBBS BBS List. Errors, errors increasing, abort transfer, hang up, try again. Second attempt, not any better. Would I be reduced to reading the manual? Not yet! For the most part modem manuals offer just general information, or technical specifications that only someone with a Masters in Modem Technology could understand. No middle ground for the average Joe. Most modem manuals are, for the most part, a waste of paper. Did manage to complete some error free downloads at 19.2, with a cps around 1850, but that was the best at this stage of the game. I left the new modem hooked up to the board and wondered when I would receive my first 28.8 call, not counting the couple of calls I had made myself. Overnight someone had called and logged in at a connect speed of 21,600. Obviously a V.FC or V.34 caller, but the handshake had settled at a lower connect speed. A file transfer was completed at a cps approaching 1900, but I did not know the number of errors the callers encountered. Unfortunately, the caller did not leave any message about how the transfer went. As I approached 28.8 day two, I knew my work was far from complete. The first, and most obvious, thing that had to be done was the upgrading of the UART chips. A new high speed serial card was ordered, with 16550A UART chips, which were designed to correct the transfer error problems with the new 28.8 modems. Unfortunately, the part had to ordered and it would take several days to get the new serial card. I hoped that this would do the trick and that additional tweaking would not be necessary. I did take the opportunity to contact USRobotics about the missing T-shirts. The woman on the other end of the phone said she had heard about people being promised shirts at the ONE BBSCON and that she'd get one shipped out to me. I really should have gotten two, but I did not wish to make a big deal out of it. I just wanted a USR T- shirt. I asked for a size large and she said no problem. I did receive the T-shirt, via Federal Express, before I got the serial card. Hmm, size extra large. Oh well, it was a nice looking shirt. The new serial card went in like a snap. Tried another call, started a download, watched the cps go up, waited for errors. No errors yet. 2500, 2600, 2650 cps and still rising. Got over 2700 with no errors! Tried some other downloads, on other boards, and typically got 2700 or better cps. Someday soon, when I get a cleaner that average connection, I would not be too surprised to see the 3000 characters per second barrier broken. + + + + + ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ» ÛÛ» ÛÛ» ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ» ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ» ÈÍÍÛÛÉÍͼ ÛÛº ÛÛº ÛÛÉÍÍÍͼ º Operating 24 hrs at 14400 Baud!!! º ÛÛº ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛº ÛÛÛÛÛ» º º ÛÛº ÛÛÉÍÍÛÛº ÛÛÉÍͼ º Your Sysop is Ernie Stefan: º ÛÛº ÛÛº ÛÛº ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ» º º Èͼ Èͼ Èͼ ÈÍÍÍÍÍͼ ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ ÛÛÛÛÛÛ» ÛÛ» ÛÛÛÛÛÛ» ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ» ÛÛÉÍÍÛÛ» ÛÛº ÛÛÉÍÍÍͼ º Over 2 Gigs of files on-line: º ÛÛÛÛÛÛɼ ÛÛº ÛÛº ÛÛÛ» º º ÛÛÉÍÍÛÛ» ÛÛº ÛÛº ÛÛº º Over 40 on-line door Games: º ÛÛÛÛÛÛɼ ÛÛº ÈÛÛÛÛÛÛɼ º º ÈÍÍÍÍͼ Èͼ ÈÍÍÍÍͼ ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ ÛÛÛÛÛÛ» ÛÛ» ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ» ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ» ÛÛÉÍÍÛÛ» ÛÛº ÈÍÍÛÛÉÍͼ º Member Fidonet: 1:3691/12 º ÛÛÛÛÛÛɼ ÛÛº ÛÛº º Member Fishnet: 1:1473/42 º ÛÛÉÍÍͼ ÛÛº ÛÛº º Give us a call at 813-863-1572 º ÛÛº ÛÛº ÛÛº º º Èͼ Èͼ Èͼ ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ + + + + + ROTFL! ------ Top Ten Worthless Messages, Courtesy of Sandy Illes 10. HELLo? HELLo? HELLOOOOOOO? 9. How do I get access to the doors? 8. How do I get more download bytes? 7. This is a test. 6. Will someone upload Street Fighter 2????? 5. If yu dont anser me I will virii yur computer!!!!!!! 4. Shareware is lame d00d!!!!! 3. WILL SOMEONE PLAESSE RITE BAK TO ME???? 2. 1. I'm lonely and need a girl!!! Editor's Note: Thank you to ROTFL Digest!, and its editor Sandy Illes for allowing the above to be reprinted from a prior issue of the on-line humor magazine. For more information on ROTFL Digest! contact Access Media Systems at (905) 847-7362 (Voice/FAX), or call the CAP/Canada BBS at (416) 287-0935. Email: sandy.illes@canrem.com, or Sandy Illes 1:250/710. + + + + + New Game Releases ----------------- Alien Carnage - Written by: SubZero Software - Distributed by: Apogee Software Earth is on the verge of a takeover by aliens intent on turning humans into mindless slave zombies. You are called to Space Station Liberty to prepare to penetrate the alien ship using a vast array of weapons including, a flame thrower, photon cannon, guided missiles, grenades, micro nukes and the powerful Omega Bomb. This game was originally released as Halloween Harry. Cannon Fodder - Written by: Virgin Interactive - Distributed by: MVP Software Cannon Fodder is a humorous action game based on warfare. War has never been so much fun, with lots of colorful graphics and witty game play. Entombed - Written by: Adam Pedersen - Distributed by: Impulse Software You play the role of an archaeologist trapped in an ancient tomb in this 3-D puzzle adventure for Windows. Alone you must navigate your way through deadly traps, intricate puzzles, and involved mazes as you try to escape from your harsh captor before it claims another victim. LineWars II - Written by: Patrick Aalto - Distributed by: Safari Software LineWars II is basically a 3-D space arcade game. Cruise through the Deneb star system, toasting pirate ships as you tackle the three missions in the Shareware version. the game also features modem and network play for up to eight players. One Must Fall 2097 - Written by: Bob Elam - Distributed by: Epic MegaGames You control a massive robot in this one-on-one fighting game based on the theme of multinational corporations taking over the control of national governments. Can you put an end to the dominance of World Aeronautics and Robotics' (WAR) in the Japanamerica of the 2097? Wonderful animation and sound contribute to a very large file size. ShadowForce - Written by: Patrick Maidorn - Distributed by: MVP Software The end of civilization appears closer than ever before in this graphical adventure game set in the year 2110. You control the ShadowForce, an elite team of four enhanced humanoids, as you investigate the shutdown of a government genetic warfare facility known as Icarus. In the first episode, Rise of the Overlord, you discover the awful secret behind Icarus. Wacky Wheels - Written by: Beavis Soft - Distributed by: Apogee Software High speed auto racing game featuring a two player spilt screen mode, modem or network play, as well as individual play. Enjoy colorful animation as you race cartoon type characters around five different tracks in the Shareware version. + + + + + Murphy's Laws of Computers -------------------------- You always find the information you need on the page of the manual you look at last. + + + + + ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ» º -ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ-- Software Creations BBS -ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ-- º º - Dedicated to the Development and Distribution of GREAT Software - º º -ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ-Ä "Home of the Authors" -ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ-- º º -ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ-- º º * Software Creations Voted #1 BBS for 1993 & 1994 * º º -ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ-- º º 1200/2400 V.42/MNP Lines : (508) 365-2359 º º 2400-14.4k HST US Robotics Lines : (508) 368-7036 º º 2400-16.8k V.32/V.42bis US Robotics lines : (508) 368-7139 º º 14.4-28.8k V.32/V.42bis/V.fc Hayes Optima lines: (508) 365-9352 º º 14.4-28.8k V.32/V.42bis/V.32terbo/V.fc US Robotics lines: (508) 368-3424 º º -ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ-- º º * Software Creations BBS continues to bring you the Best of the Best * º º Member of the Worcester County Sysops Association º º Member of the National Computer Ethics and Responsibilities Campaign º º Clinton, Massachusetts Sysop: Dan Linton º ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ + + + + + The BBS Glossary ---------------- Access - To use a BBS, as in accessing, or the amount you can use it, as in access level. ANSI - While actually an acronym for the American National Standards Institute, it refers to the widely used graphics on BBSs. Archive - A file which has been compressed, or at least stored, under a specific name. This allows for faster transfer times and the grouping of related files. Originally meant for files with an .ARC extension. ASCII - An acronym for American Standard Code for Information Interchange which is the most common format for text files. Batch - A group of files which are either downloaded or uploaded, commonly called a Batch File Transfer. Baud Rate - The speed of the modem connection, the higher the rate the faster data travels. Bulletin - Text which the Sysop has made available to users. Bulletins may be informational or educational, give the high game scores, or whatever the Sysop deems appropriate. Bulletin Board System (BBS) - A computer hooked up to a modem so that other people can call and access information, files or games. Bits Per Second (BPS) - The rate data is transmitted through a modem connection. Increases with the baud rate. Caller - Someone who accesses a bulletin board from a remote location. Capture - Saving text from BBS display to a file on the remote computer normally in ASCII format. Chat - The ability to communicate with users on other lines (or nodes). Callers can chat back and forth in a live conversation. Communications Software - Computer program which allows for easier calling of BBSs. Some software packages have all kinds of advanced features and many are quite easy to set-up. Compressed File - A file, or group of files, which have been reduced in size using compression utilities. A compressed file uses less disk space and speeds up transfer times. Conference - A separate area on a BBS which is directed at specific topics. Conferences almost always have their own message base, and some have their own file directories or doors. CPS - Characters per Seconds. A way to message the speed of data transmissions. The CPS increases with the baud rate. Default - Refers to settings used by BBS or communications software. Many times the preset configuration works fine, especially for new users. Door - A program with has been added onto the BBS, but is not part of the BBS software itself. Sysops customize their board by adding game or utility type doors. Download - Receiving data from a BBS through the modem connection. Downloads from BBSs are known as files. Drop Carrier - Hanging up on a BBS without following the proper log-off procedures. Occasionally can happen on either end unintentionally. Echo Mail - Public messages which go out over a BBS network. E-Mail - Electronic mail, which is sent on computers in the form of messages. External Protocol - File transfer protocol which is not actually built into the particular BBS or communications software, but must be accessed externally. Fax/Modem - A modem which has the ability to send and receive facsimile transmissions (faxes). Fax Software - Software which works in conjunction with a Fax/Modem to send and receive faxes. Many software packages have options such as converting faxes to ASCII or other text formats. FidoNet - The largest bulletin board based message network echoing mail with thousands of systems worldwide. File - Data transferred through the modem connection for use on the receiving computer. Files can be complete programs, informational text, graphic images or many other formats. Freeware - Software which is legally copyrighted, however, the author asks for no monetary compensation for the program. HS/Link - This is a relatively new file transfer protocol. It is a high speed, single and bi-directional file transfer protocol with many advanced features. Information Super-Highway - A buzz word created by the media to describe the current and future uses of telecommunications technology. Internal Protocol - File transfer protocol which is built into the particular BBS or communications software. Internet - A rapidly growing computer based network which includes bulletin boards, educational and government institutions, on-line services and businesses all over the world. Millions of people are now accessing the Internet for electronic mail and other information. ISDN - Integrated Services Digital Network. The next generation of telephone technology designed to provide real time transmission in a digital format. Already installed in some places. ITU-T - International Telecommunications Union (Telecommunications sector). Formerly known as CCITT, this organization sets the international standards for telegraphic and telephone equipment. Sets modems standards, such as the recent V.34 standard for 28.8 baud transmissions. Line Noise - Static which can occur during a modem connection due to the fact that the telephone system was originally designed for voice. Local - Use of the BBS at it's physical location. Typically, the Sysop accessing the BBS software directly. Log-on - Calling a BBS, and going through the most common procedure of giving name and password. Main Board - The primary conference on a BBS, and where the callers normally are when they first log-on. Most general messages, files and doors should be found here. Message - Something left by a BBS user for others to read. A message could be left for a single user, or for all users to read. Message Base - All messages left on a BBS, or more specifically the location of those messages. Separate conferences typically have their own message base. Modem - Device which allows computers to talk to each other over a system which originally designed for voice. Network - Different BBSs exchanging messages to increase the activity and diversity of the message base. The echo mail network allows a user to leave a message on one BBS which can be read on BBS at a different location. On some of the large networks a message can be read literally around the world. NetMail - Electronic messages which go out over a BBS network which are addressed to, and may be read by, only one person. Node - Commonly used as the number of telephone lines hooked up to a BBS with each line being a node, but a BBS can also have local nodes. Password - A unique series of keyboard characters that a caller selects to access a BBS. It should be kept confidential to prevent others from logging- on using your name. Paging - Requesting a live chat with the Sysop, who may answer the page if available. Private - Indicates a conference or message is not meant for all callers, and may refer to some BBSs which have restricted access. Protocol - A language that modems use to communicate with each other during file transfers. The same protocol must be used by both modems for a transfer to be successful. There are a growing number of protocols to choose from. Public - A conference, message or BBS which is open for any caller. A public message can be read by all users. A public board will have private messages and perhaps some private conferences, but generally access is available to all. Public Domain - Programs or files which are released free of charge with little restriction for use. Remote Computer - A computer which has connected to the BBS by modem. RIPscrip - Remote Imaging Protocol. A graphics format which is used to add mouse support to bulletin boards. Script - A questionnaire set-up by the Sysop to get information from the caller. Security Level - Level of access given to a caller which determines what the caller may access on the BBS. Users may require a higher security level to access certain conferences or files. Shareware - A method of software distribution which allows you to try before you buy. Shareware can be used for a limited time without payment, but registration is required if the product is used past the evaluation period. Sysop - Short for System Operator, the person who operates the BBS. Transfer - The receiving or sending of a file with a BBS. Upload - Sending data, typically files, to a BBS through the modem connection. User - Originally meant to imply someone calling in the local mode, while those who access the BBS from a remote computer where known as callers. Now commonly implies both callers and users. User Account - The record containing information for an individual user. Things like user name, password, address, the number of uploads and downloads, and security level are typically found in the user account. V.21 - An ITU-T standard for 300 bps modem connections standardized in 1981. V.22 - An ITU-T standard for 1200 bps modem connections standardized in 1982. V.22 bis - An ITU-T standard for 2400 bps modem connections standardized in 1984. V.32 - An ITU-T standard for 4800 and 9600 bps modem connections standardized in 1987. V.32 bis - An ITU-T standard for 14400 bps modem connections standardized in 1991. V.34 - An ITU-T standard for 28800 bps modem connections standardized in 1994. V.FC - Early standard developed by Rockwell International for 28800 bps modem connections. Verification - Many BBSs have some way of verifying that the caller logging-on is actually who they say they are. Caller ID, doors which call the user back, or calling all users by voice are common practices. Xmodem (CRC) - At one time this was the most popular file transfer protocol. Xmodem (CRC) sends files in blocks of 128 characters at a time and checks for errors using a sophisticated Cyclic Redundancy Check. Xmodem (Checksum) - A file transfer protocol where information is transferred in 128 byte blocks with a less reliable Checksum error correction method. 1K Xmodem - This file transfer protocol is a variation of Xmodem (CRC) that uses blocks that are 1 kilobyte (1024 bytes) in size. 1K Xmodem/G - This file transfer protocol variation of Xmodem is meant for error-free channels such as error correcting modems or direct cable links between two computers. It achieves great speed, however, it does not have error correction and if an error occurs the transfer is aborted. Ymodem (Batch) - This file transfer protocol is a variation on 1K Xmodem, which allows for multiple files to be sent per transfer. While transferring files it uses the 1024 byte block size and the CRC error correction method. Ymodem/G (Batch) - This file transfer protocol is a variation on Ymodem which achieves very high transfer rates by sending 1024 blocks without waiting for acknowledgment. There is no error correction and if an error occurs the transfer is aborted. Zip - The most common form of compressed file found on BBSs. Zmodem (Batch) - This protocol is very popular because it is very fast, incredibly reliable and offers many features. Zmodem can transfer files in a batch and can detect and recover from errors quickly. The Zmodem Recovery feature can resume an interrupted transfer. + + + + + °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°° ² ² ² Board of Trade BBS New Port Richey, Florida ² ² ² ² Home of the Pasco BBS Magazine ² ² ² ² Home of Shadoware ² ² ² ² Home of the New 813 BBS Directory ² ² ² ² Official Support BBS of Pasco ComPats Computer Club ² ² ² ² (813) 862-4772 12/24/48/96/14400/28800 baud ² ² ² ² Member of Pasco Sysops Association ² ² Electronic Frontiers Foundation and American BBS Association ² ² ² ² Official Distribution Site: ² ² Alive Software, Apogee Software, Epic MegaGames, Gamer's Edge, ² ² Id Software, Impulse Software, MVP Software, Safari Software, ² ² Software Creations and Soleau Software ² ² ² °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°° + + + + + Next Month ---------- The January of the Pasco BBS Magazine will be a Special Second Anniversary Issue with a look back at the past two years. We will also have all our regular features, so make sure you do not miss this special issue! The January issue will probably be released a little earlier due to the holidays, but as with all issues of the magazine, it will be released by the 22nd of the month. + + + + + Important Information --------------------- The Pasco BBS Magazine is distributed free of charge, as long as it is unaltered and complete. When uploading make sure the original archive is intact with all files included. The Pasco BBS Magazine is the sole property of the Board of Trade BBS and Richard Ziegler. It is legally copyrighted material and all rights are reserved. No part of this magazine may be used without permission. No compensation of any kind may be received for the viewing, distribution, or for any other use of the magazine files. By submitting something, you are agreeing to allow publication of the material in the magazine. Articles reprinted with permission remain the property of the cited source. Guest contributions may not necessarily reflect the views of the Pasco BBS Magazine. The editor reserves the right to edit submissions, however, this is normally only done to correct spelling or grammatical errors. The editor makes all determinations on what and when articles will run. Every effort is made to insure that all information contained within the Pasco BBS Magazine is accurate, but inadvertently mistakes can appear. The Pasco BBS Magazine, Board of Trade BBS or Richard Ziegler cannot be held liable for information contained within this document. It is intended that this magazine exists for the personal enjoyment of the readers. Rather than place a trademark symbol at every occurrence of a trademarked name, it is stated that trademarks are only being used in an editorial fashion with no intention of any infringement of the trademark itself. More information can be found in the other files distributed with the magazine's archive. Comments, questions, suggestions and submissions can be left on the Board of Trade BBS (813) 862-4772, or mailed to Board of Trade BBS, P.O. Box 1853, New Port Richey, FL 34656. FidoNet address: 1:3619/10. + + + + + (C)Copyright 1994 Richard Ziegler - All Rights Reserved + + + + +