ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ» º º ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ º ɼ ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ º º Û ÜÜÜ Û Û ÜÜÜ Û Û ÜÜÜÜÛ Û ÜÜÜÜÛ Û ÜÜÜ Û º ɼ Û ÜÜÜÜÛ Û ÜÜÜ Û ÛÜÜÜÜ Û Û ÛÜÜÜÜ Û ÛÜÛ Û º º ÛÜÛ ÛÜÛ ÛÜÛ ÛÜÜÜÜÜÛ ÛÜÜÜÜÜÛ ÛÜÜÜÜÜÛ º º º º ÜÜÜÜÜÜ ÜÜÜÜÜÜ ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ º Éͼ Û ÜÜ ÛÜ Û ÜÜ ÛÜ Û ÜÜÜÜÛ º º Û ÜÜÜ Û Û ÜÜÜ Û ÛÜÜÜÜ Û º ɼ ÛÜÜÜÜÜÛ ÛÜÜÜÜÜÛ ÛÜÜÜÜÜÛ º º º ÉÍͼ ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ ÜÜÜÜÜ ÜÜÜ ÜÜÜ ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ ÉÍÍͼ º Û Ü Ü Û Û ÜÜÜ Û Û ÜÜÜÜÛ Û ÜÜÜ Û ÛÜÜÜ ÜÛ ÛÜ ÜÛ Û ßÛÛ Û Û ÜÜÜÜÛ º ɼ Û Û Û Û Û ÜÜÜ Û Û ÛÜÜ Û Û ÜÜÜ Û ÜÛßÜÛÛÜ ÜÛ ÛÜ Û ÛÜß Û Û ÜÜÜÛÜ º ɼ ÛÜÛßÛÜÛ ÛÜÛ ÛÜÛ ÛÜÜÜÜÜÛ ÛÜÛ ÛÜÛ ÛÜÜÜÜÜÛ ÛÜÜÜÛ ÛÜÛßÛÜÛ ÛÜÜÜÜÜÛ º ÌÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÊÍÍÍ» º November 1993 Volume 1 Number 11 º ÇÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄĶ º Board of Trade BBS New Port Richey, Florida (813) 862-4772 º ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ In This Issue ------------- þ BBSCON Day Two - More on this year's ONE BBSCON þ Dennis Hayes and ISDN þ Reviews, news and much more! + + + + + Editor's Welcome ---------------- Another month has flown by and it is time for another issue of the Pasco BBS Magazine. This month continues our extensive coverage of ONE BBSCON '93. BBSCON Day Two tells of the some of the lighter moments from the event, and of some of my own experiences in Colorado Springs. I hope you will enjoy it. We have added another International Distribution Site, this one is north of the border in Canada. Thank you to Odyssey Systems, the latest member of the Pasco BBS Magazine family. I want to thank all the Distribution Sites for their help. The Distribution gets pretty hectic, and I do not always have time to say thanks, but I do appreciate it! + + + + + ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿ ³ ³ ³ Pasco BBS Magazine Distribution Sites ³ ³ ------------------------------------- ³ ³ United States ³ ³ ³ ³ Florida West Pasco Board of Trade BBS (813) 862-4772 ³ ³ Clearwater Pegboard BBS (813) 596-7148 ³ ³ Largo Birdland BBS (813) 595-9239 ³ ³ Lutz Night City South (813) 949-5751 ³ ³ St. Petersburg Twilight BBS (813) 323-6023 ³ ³ Tampa InnerZone BBS (813) 238-0707 ³ ³ Valparaiso Phoenix BBS (904) 651-4423 ³ ³ West Palm Beach ArrowHead BBS (407) 833-0878 ³ ³ Zephyrhills Tele Com BBS (813) 780-8452 ³ ³ ³ ³ California Mira Loma ATTENTION to Details (909) 681-6221 ³ ³ ³ ³ Illinois Mundelein Mulligan's Place BBS (708) 566-6183 ³ ³ ³ ³ Indiana South Bend The Great Beyond BBS (219) 233-8854 ³ ³ ³ ³ Massachusetts Clinton Software Creations (508) 365-2359 ³ ³ ³ ³ North Carolina Morehead City SeaScape BBS (919) 726-9364 ³ ³ ³ ³ West Virginia Snowshoe Snowshoe BBS (304) 572-2531 ³ ³ ³ ³ Canada ³ ³ ³ ³ Ontario Oshawa Odyssey Systems (905) 579-9241 ³ ³ ³ ³ United Kingdom ³ ³ ³ ³ Northamptonshire Raunds Xenakis BBS +44 933 460744 ³ ³ ³ ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´ ³ SYSOPS: Read PBMDIST.INF to sign up! ³ ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ + + + + + The BBSCON Day Two ------------------ BBSCON Day Two. No this article is not about the second day of the largest gathering of BBS enthusiasts ever assembled, but rather a lighter look at the event held this August in Colorado Springs. These are some of my recollections about an incredible week. Yes, it may seem more like random ramblings, and admittedly there is some ranting and raving as well. Sometimes this article might seem like a travelog, but it does give a pretty good taste of what went down at the ONE BBSCON. For those who were lucky enough to attend, it may bring back some memories. For those who missed it, here is some of what you missed at ONE BBSCON '93. First some quick background on the BBSCON. The very first Online Networking Exposition and BBS Convention, or ONE BBSCON, was held last year in Denver. This August they returned to Colorado to stage the sequel. They being Jack Rickard and Phil Becker, the ones who dreamt up the idea. Jack Rickard is the editor of the leading BBS related magazine today, Boardwatch Magazine. Phil Becker is the author of the TBBS Bulletin Board Software and is president of eSoft, Inc. They wanted to bring together all the different manufactures, system operators, and others interested in the on-line world. They succeeded resoundingly. There was almost two thousand people, and all their various loyalties and viewpoints strengthened the event. The trip started out at the Tampa International Airport. I wanted to get some gum for the flight, primarily because you are no longer allowed to smoke on airplanes. I was amazed that the airport didn't sell gum. An airport that doesn't sell gum? Doesn't gum and flying traditionally go together? TIA was worried about their precious carpet. At least you could have a cigarette while waiting for the plane, unlike the Dallas/Fort Worthless Airport. You cannot smoke in the entire airport! Geez, I hate that place. One thing I can say about the Colorado Springs airport is they have gum and you can smoke, by far the best airport of the trip! °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°° ² ² ² Board of Trade BBS New Port Richey, Florida ² ² ² ² Home of the Pasco BBS Magazine ² ² ² ² Home of Shadoware ² ² ² ² Bytor Computer Systems, Inc. presents the PC Help Forum ² ² ² ² (813) 862-4772 12/24/48/96/14400 baud ² ² ² ² Member of... ² ² Electronic Frontiers Foundation and American BBS Association ² ² Official Distribution Site for the following: Alive Software, ² ² Apogee Software, Digital Reality, Epic MegaGames, Gamer's Edge, ² ² MVP Software, Software Creations and Westcoast 813 BBS Directory ² ² BBS Voice Line (813) 863-5886 ² °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°° The flight itself had the required glitch, do they intentionally have to have a hitch so people writing about the flight can have an additional paragraph? We sat on the ground in Dallas for an hour while the mechanics replaced a sensor. When the pilot informed us of the delay, there was a alarm sounding over the PA system. Sounded somewhat like the Star Trek warning alarm, or maybe like the robot on Lost in Space. Half expected the Lost in Space robot to run down the aisles shooting 'warning, warning.' Did at least have time to go outside in the 95 degree heat of the Texas summer and sweat with the other smokers. Anyway, they finally got the part for the plane and we were on our way. It was nice to leave, but unfortunately, the return flight also had a stop in Dallas/Ft. Worthless. I think next time I fly, I'll choose an airline which doesn't go through that place. The ONE BBSCON was held at the historic Broadmoor Hotel, a five star hotel located in suburban Colorado Springs. Colorado Springs is the second largest city in the state, with a population of almost 400,000 in the greater metropolitan area. The military is the largest industry, employing one of every five area residents, and Colorado's most visited man-made attraction is the United States Air Force Academy. The city is also known as "The Amateur Sports Capital of America," and is home to the United States Olympic Training Center. Tourism is the second largest industry in Colorado Springs, as there are over 50 major area attractions. What did you get for the registration fee? There was one hundred and thirty something educational sessions on a wide range of on-line topics. Obviously it would be impossible for someone to attend every session, or every session they wanted to see, but you could buy audio tapes. Which reminds me, I am still waiting for an order form from that tape company. It is almost two months now, they didn't seem too organized, and the lines moved painfully slow. There was also the vendor exhibits, which was the a trade show aspect of the convention. There were parties and other assorted meetings. When you first registered, you where handed your ONE BBSCON Bag with all kinds of assorted goodies. There was a program with an $8 price on it, a coffee mug with the convention logo implanted on it, a really nice notebook and pen, and couple of other things I've forgotten. I think if you register early, it is a pretty fair deal. Everyone has their stories of meeting people at the ONE BBSCON. No matter what people thought of the other aspects of the convention, and occasionally complaints were heard, the opportunity to meet others involved in BBSing was the most enjoyable part of the event. My own experiences ranged from meeting Rob Marlowe who operates the oldest board right here in Pasco County, to having lunch with Ward Christensen who set up the first BBS itself. Most everybody was so approachable, and eager to share their thoughts, that meeting people was the unanimous highlight of BBSCON. ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ ßÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜß °±°°±²Û²±² ÀÄAÄPillarÄInÄTheÄModemingÄCommunityÄÙ °±°°±²Û²±² °±°°±²Û²±² ÄÄÄÄÄÍÍ Welcome To ÍÍÄÄÄÄÄ °±°°±²Û²±² °±°°±²Û²±² °±°±²ÛÝ°±°±²Ý °±Ý ²ÛÝ°±°±²ÛÝ°±°±²ÛÝ°±°±²Ý°±Ý ²ÛÝ °±°°±²Û²±² °±°°±²Û²±² °±Ý ²ÛÝ°±Ý ²ÛÝ°±Ý ²ÛÝ°±Ý °±Ý °±Ý °±Ý ²ÛÝ °±°°±²Û²±² °±°°±²Û²±² °±Ý ²ÛÝ°±Ý ²ÛÝ°±°±²ÛÝ°±°±²ÛÝ°±°±²ÛÝ°±°Ý °±°±²ÛÝ °±°°±²Û²±² °±°°±²Û²±² °±Ý ²ÛÝ°±Ý ²ÛÝ °±Ý ²ÛÝ ²ÛÝ°±Ý °±Ý °±°°±²Û²±² °±°°±²Û²±² °±°±²ÛÝ°±°±²Ý °±Ý °±°±²ÛÝ°±°±²Ûݱ±°±²Ý °±Ý °±°°±²Û²±² °±°°±²Û²±² ÜÜÜ Ü Ü ÜÜÜ ÜÜÜÜÜ ÜÜÜ ÜÜÜÜÜ ÜÜÜ °±°°±²Û²±² °±°°±²Û²±² ÛÜÜ ÛÜÛ ÛÜÜ Û ÛÜ Û Û Û ÛÜÜ °±°°±²Û²±² °±°°±²Û²±² Û Û Û Û Û Û Û Û °±°°±²Û²±² °±°°±²Û²±² ßßß ß ßßß ß ßßß ß ß ßßß °±°°±²Û²±² °±°°±²Û²±² Sysop: Chuck Corvec Co Sysop: Dan Twomey °±°°±²Û²±² ÜßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßÜ Line 1 579-3710 USR 14.4 HST Line 5 579-2921 BOCA 14.4 V32b Line 2 579-9241 USR 14.4 DS Line 6 579-2012 BOCA 14.4 V32b Line 3 579-9983 BOCA 14.4 V32b Line 7 579-3036 ZOLTRIX 14.4 V32b Line 4 579-0171 BOCA 14.4 V32b Line 8 579-3966 ZOLTRIX 14.4 V32b What type of person attends a convention about bulletin boards? The overwhelming majority were white males in their thirties. I don't have any analysis of this fact, but thought I'd mention it. Despite a dress code at some of the restaurants at the Broadmoor, most of the dress was causal. There was one guy, with a name tag which read "Dr. Cat," who was dressed in a Japanese Kamona all week. Other than that, everyone seemed fairly "normal." When I checked into the Hampton Inn, which was about $100 a day cheaper than staying at the Broadmoor, there where several Sysops chatting in the lobby. Since the Hampton did not have a bar, the lobby was one place to meet people. There was a Continental Breakfast each morning and people were always hanging around waiting for the next shuttle. After putting my bags away, I went down to the lobby for the first time. Two of the first people I met were Bert Rozenberg, who runs a large multi-line board in The Netherlands, and a friend of his who runs a 30 line BBS in Athens, Greece. As we sat there, smoking in the no smoking lobby, it was extremely interesting conversation. As it turned out, the Hampton seemed to be the home base for many of the Major BBS Software people. The first official get together was the Welcoming Reception held on the eve of the BBSCON on the Broadmoor's Lake Terrace. With the great scenery and atmosphere, the crowd of BBS enthusiasts enjoyed a special night. Dan Linton of Software Creations was there, thanks for the shirt! I also met Dave White in person for the first time. Dave is the Sysop of the CyberScape BBS, which is the board that hosts the Live On-Line Interviews, or as it is called in the Pasco BBS Magazine, The Best of CyberScape LIVE! Joe Siegler, who helped with the Wolfenstein story in the May Pasco BBS Magazine, was there and talking about Apogee games. Joe was talking about how popular the Goof Fish was from Commander Keen: Good Bye Galaxy, and of a few game secrets. If you are familiar with Good Bye Galaxy, you know how Keen will take out a book and flip through the pages if you don't touch the keyboard for a moment. Try it in the Pyramid of the Moons, and at an area with a moon on the floor, and see what happens. Maybe some have already discovered this bit of Apogee humor. One last note on the Welcoming Reception, and something that maybe few knew about, but most would have loved to have seen. Ward Christensen, the man who wrote the first bulletin board software, played some blues on one of the pianos at the Broadmoor after most of the guest had left. Like I said, it was a special night. Looking out the motel window Thursday morning did give a wonderful view of the American flag whipping in the wind with the mountains in the background. That same wind was blowing in a weather system which, unfortunately, would affect the area weather for the duration of the stay. There was a very dark, very ominous sky rolling in over the mountains, but it was still a great view despite what the sky foretold. The nasty weather ended up being more of a nuisance than anything else. At the Welcoming Session all the Sysops were asked to stand, then have a seat when the year their system began was announced. Ward Christian was the last one standing and got up to say a few words. "When I started all of this, one of my greatest joys was over-hearing someone talking about micro-computers, or knowing anything about technology, because it was so rare. You'd be walking down the street, or in a bus or something, and like one time every four months you'd find someone. Walking out of the hotel today the bell-man (looking at Christensen's T-shirt) said 'oh, nice fractal!'" ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ» º -ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ-- Software Creations BBS -ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ-- º º - Dedicated to the Development and Distribution of GREAT Software - º º -ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ "Home of the Authors" ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ-- º º -ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ-- º º * Software Creations Voted #1 BBS for 1993 * º º -ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ-- º º 1200/2400 V.42/MNP Lines : (508) 365-2359 º º 2400-14.4k HST USR Robotics Lines : (508) 368-4137 º º 2400-14.4k V.32/V.42bis Twincom Lines: (508) 368-7036 º º * Software Creations BBS continues to bring you the Best of the Best * º º Member of the Worcester County Sysops Association º º Clinton, Massachusetts Sysop: Dan Linton º ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ Jim Harrer, of Mustang Software, asked for all Sysops to stand up for a second time at the Welcoming Session. By having the Sysops sit as the number of users announced increased, it was hoped we'd all find out which board had the most users. Harrer remarked "Prodigy, we don't count...CompuServe, uh uh, we're interested in real BBS Sysops!" After a rousing cheer, the experiment revealed that Software Creations had 62,000 users. Dave Hughes, Sr. of Old Colorado City Communications was the highlight of the Welcoming Session. Known as the Cursor Cowboy, this colorful Colorado Springs resident talked about the site for the convention. "I don't want you to get the wrong idea. You see because this is all up-scale, dress code, Broadmoor Hotel, come on! Don't lose the grip on where you came from, the grass roots, and I still champion it." Jack Rickard started off the BBSing for Profit Session talking about Sysops who want to make their system look like a "professional service." He went on to explain, "the problem with that is CompuServe and Prodigy and so forth, they're trying to figure out how to put personally in them so it would be like a bulletin board." The BBSing for Profit Sessions, known as the Jack and Phil show, did offer some excellent tips for Sysops, but a lot of the material had been covered in a Boardwatch Magazine article a couple of years back. The BBSing for Profit Sessions were well attended. The Broadmoor hosted most of the public parties held after the daily sessions. This was another great opportunity to mingle and sometimes these hospitality suites were just jammed with people. ZyXEL had the most distinctive party, a wild west theme, including clever promotions and very spicy food. All had some sort of free food and a couple even had an open bar for the first hour. The party experience was, one minute feeling tired and thinking that you should catch the next shuttle bus, and the next minute you're talking about Dr. Who with Norm Henkle of mega-board PC-Ohio. The vendor exhibits ran all day Friday and Saturday, and most people would make more than one pass through the two exhibits areas. The first place I went on Friday morning was the Association of Shareware Professionals booth, which was being manned by Clint Bradford. Clint is the Sysop of Attention to Details RyBBS in California, an ASP Hub and a Pasco BBS Magazine Distribution Site. He was another person I've talked to several times, but had never met before. Clint had prepared some fliers for the magazine and had them on the table for people to take. I took a few. He did a great job! I also know he worked hard at the ASP booth over those two days. I hung around a little, talking to some people about the magazine and even won a Wolfenstein T-Shirt in one of Clint's drawings! ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ» º ÒÄÄÄÄ¿ ÄÄÄÄÄÄ®(813)595-9239¯ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ Ü º Éͼ º ³ THE ECO/ANIMAL/ART/MUSIC BBS Û ÈÍ» Éͼ ÇÄÄÄÄÁ¿ ÄÒÄ ÒÄÄ¿ ÒÄÄ¿ Ò ÖÄÄ¿ ÖÄÄ¿ ÒÄÄ¿ Û ÈÍ» Éͼ º ³ º ÇÄÂÙ º ³ º ÇÄÄ´ º ³ º ³ Ü ÈÍ» Õͼ ÐÄÄÄÄÄÙ ÄÐÄ Ð Á ÐÄÄÙ ÐÄÄÙ Ð Á Ð Á ÐÄÄÙ ß È͸ ³ ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ ³ ³ ÜÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÜ *NATIONAL CONFERENCES INCLUDING:* ³ ³ ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÜÜ 19 Bird and Animal Conferences ³ ³ ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ² ²ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ 4 Ecology Conferences ³ ³ ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛßßßßÛÛ **LOCAL INTER-BBS CONFERENCES** ³ ³ ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛßßß Û *********FILES!********* ³ ³ ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛß A FRIENDLY ATMOSPHERE!!! ³ ³ ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛß NO FEES! NO RATIOS! ³ ³ °°ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ°°° FULL ACCESS ON FIRST CALL! ³ ³ °°°°ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ°°°°° SysOp: Mark Hammock ³ ³ °°°°°ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ°°°°°° ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄij ³ °°°°°°ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ°°°°°°° ³ Member: ³ Distribution Site: ³ ³°°°°°°°ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ°°°°°°°° ³ FIDONET (1:3603/350)³ Pasco BBS Magazine ³ ³°°°°°°°ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ°°°°°°°°° ³ BIRDNET ³ WC813 BBS LIST ³ ³°°°°°°ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ°°°°°°°° ³ PINELLAS QWK-NET ³ MERC.OPUS BBS LIST ³ ÔÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ; Every vendor exhibit had something free for the taking. Even if it was just brochures and pamphlets, or better yet program disks, there was tons of free stuff handed out. Some of the better items were T-shirts and hats, some of which were also available for purchase. The TeleGrafic Communications people had a pretty nice shirt about RIPscript that read "I got RIPped at the BBSCON." Hayes gave away neat little screw drivers, phillips head on one end and standard head on the other. Somebody was passing out "BBS Jumping Beans." The beans, pieces of plastic, would "jump" when they were flipped inside out and placed on a hard surface. The ad said "amuse yourself while waiting for that long download." John Dvorak was quite funny at the awards presentation named after him. He said he was working on a column on how "the Internet was going to clog-up any minute." When Dr. Vinton Cerf accepted an award on behalf of Internet, he said "we will put a scanned image of it up on the Internet, and make it available for everyone to look at." Leading Dvorak to reply "a scanned image on the Internet, more junk on the Internet." He also said he found some stickers on one of the tables which read "Texas Association of Police and Sheriffs," and was passing them out to the award recipients so they "would never get a ticket." Writer John Markoff was not present to receive his award, but Dvorak joked "it's kind of a buddy award. He owes me one now." John Dvorak also said he called CompuServe from the command line. It certainly was one of those weeks were everybody was talking about the weather, and not just the generally lousy weather in Colorado Springs. David Carlson of the Electronic Tribune commented during the Guerrilla Marketing Your BBS Session that he thought the big news story of the day was "the hurricane heading towards...my new home in Florida." With Hurricane Emily projected to take a path just north of last year's Hurricane Andrew, and the Colorado Springs TV news showing people in South Florida preparing to take another hit, he wasn't the only one thinking about home in Florida. After all, Hurricane Andrew's path of destruction was south of Pasco County. As it turned out, Hurricane Emily went much further north than Florida. One thing I forgot to mention earlier was that registration also included a buffet style lunch every day, and snacks between sessions. The food was not bad, but the lines, especially at lunch, were long. Sometimes it paid to check out another building, since lunch was being served at more than one location, maybe the lines would be shorter. It was a beautiful lunch time view. It may have been another gray day, but the clouds rolling through the mountains was an inspiring sight. Ward Christensen, looking for a place to have lunch himself, asked if he could join me in watching the view. "Please do" was my obvious response. We talked about the beautiful scenery and about the first BBS. His educational session on the history of the first BBS was scheduled for right after lunch, so I did get a preview of some of the topics. For two guys from a relatively flat place like Chicago (even if one has transplanted to an even flatter place like Florida) the view keep coming up in the conversation. Ward Christensen talked of a computer program which generated fractal images of mountains like the ones we were enjoying. We also shared the concern that adult boards could ruin this business for everybody, which was something he also commented on during his session. He went to get some desert and the next time I saw him was at the session at the Broadmoor's theater. Ward Christensen began his session about the first BBS, "I hope you all had a good lunch, and were able to find it. Didn't have to move too far, I had to move about two buildings down to find my dessert." He also had some interesting comments on what a BBS should be. "I don't feel this real strongly, but it makes a good story, if it's not free and on-line, it's not a BBS, or something like that. I coined the term, so I guess I get to define what it is." I have to give most of the speakers credit, as they were eager to reveal many of the secrets to their success. The Subscription Success Roundtable Session did yield some humorous moments. During a discussion of verification and the fictitious names that some people use to log on with Ken Behrns, Sysop of the Aquila BBS, said "Elvis was on ours." Later, Dan Linton talked about adding more phone lines in the small town of Clinton, Massachusetts. "When they had the streets blocked off to put that cable in, the contractor basically asked me where all the people were going to sit in my living room to answer all those phones." °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°° °°°ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ»°°°°°°°ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ»°°° °°°º ATTENTION to Details RyBBS º°°°°°°°º BOARDWATCH Magazine On-Line º°°° °°°º BBS Excellence... º°°°°°°°º BBS LEGAL GUIDE Dist. Site º°°° °°°º Across the Board! (sm) º°°°°°°°º MEMBER: The Electronic º°°° °°°º Clint Bradford - Sysop º°°°°°°°º Frontier Foundation, Inc. º°°° °°°ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ°°°°°°°ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ°°° °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°° °°°ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ»°°° °°°º Line 1: Hayes OPTIMA v.32 909/681-6221 Line 2: USR Courier HST º°°° °°°ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ°°° °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°° °°°ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ»°°° °°°º This authorized RyBBS Distribution Site is continuously monitored º°°° °°°º by McAfee's ViruScan and Xtree Co.'s ViruSafe v4.6. º°°° °°°ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ°°° °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°° °°°°ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ»°°°° °°°°º Official HUB BBS for the Association of Shareware Professionals º°°°° °°°°ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ°°°° °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°° There were some sessions and discussions on forming a national trade organization for the BBS industry. The legitimate concern is that laws are being written without any input from the BBS community, and that this growing industry needs some sort of lobbying effort to insure proper representation. One of the things which helped increase the interest in forming a national association was an article in the Sunday Boston Globe which ran right before the BBSCON. The article written by Josh Hyatt talked of the plight of Channel 1 BBS in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Channel 1 is being used as a test case in Massachusetts for additional taxation, not that taxation is new to that state. After several meetings, the formation of The Online Media Association was announced. While few concrete details were announced, a steering committee was selected to do the groundwork. It will be interesting to see if anything comes of it, as the initial criticism was that the association seemed to be trying to be all things to all people. We'll see what happens. Certainly want to wish the OMA good luck! Another aspect of the convention was known as "Birds of a Feather" sessions. People who had common interests could schedule their own session and post the time on a public message board. The BBSCON organizers thought that gave people a chance to "roll their own" convention, if they felt a particular subject should have been covered. There were several different public and private sessions, including one discussing technology for displaying on-line magazines. The guys who set up the session thought that they would be the only ones to show up, but there was over a dozen of us who went to the session. Some day soon, on-line publications may be multi-media shows with sound and motion. Surprisingly, there was little or no publicity about ONE BBSCON in the local media. Those removed from the event where more interested in the Rockies or Broncos. I did see the tail end of a pre-season game where the Broncos got blasted by Phoenix, and in a cab ride to the airport a cabbie agreed that the Broncos fate rested solely with the arm of John Elway. The local papers talked of the upcoming Air Force football season and of some great Falcon teams of the past. The brand new expansion Colorado Rockies baseball team is very popular, but some were surprised that not everyone in Florida loves the Miami Mullets. Many of the BBSCON guests took time to take in the local sights, including sampling limited stakes gambling in nearby Cripple Creek. In November of 1990 Colorado voters authorized limited stakes gambling in several old mining towns. Since October of 1991 Cripple Creek, along with Central City and Black Hawk outside of Denver, now bristle with activity. The effort has not been without it's growing pains. There are strict zoning restrictions in Cripple Creek, primarily to maintain the historic look of the town, and these restrictions are hampering growth. Large casino operators want to move into the area, but locals want to preserve the national historic status of the town. Last year Federal officials threatened to revoke the historic status if new construction started ruining the character of Cripple Creek. There are still some bugs to workout, but Cripple Creek residents feel Governor Roy Romer is the primary problem. Governor Romer is a longtime opponent of legalized gambling and didn't even visit the casinos during their first two years of operation. ÍÍÍËÍÍÍ ÉÍÍÍÍ» º º º ÉÍÍ Ë ÉÍÍ º ÉÍÍ» ɻɻ º ÌÍ º ÌÍ ÍÍ º º º º º Ê ÈÍÍ ÈÍÍ ÈÍÍ ÈÍÍÍͼ ÈÍͼ Ê Ê B U L L E T I N B O A R D S Y S T E M! ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ·ÖÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿ ÚÄÙ Archive Utils, Comm Files Ƕ LARGE ADULT SECTION ÀÄ¿ ÚÄÙ Business, Desktop, Editors, ºº R and X Rated ÀÄ¿ ³ Finance, Games, Graphics Filesºº Gif's, DL Movies ³ ³ Menu Files, Misc Utility Filesºº GL Movies, Cartoons ³ ÀÄ¿ Printer Utilites, Windows, ºº Adult Games ÚÄÙ ÀÄ¿ Utils, Word Processors,etcǶ Short Adult Stories ÚÄÙ ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄĽÓÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ Pasco Data Lines (813) 780-8452 (813) 783-9926 1200/38,400 Tampa Data LInes (813) 973-0241 (813) 973-0371 1200/38,400 2.5 + GIGS ON LINE STORAGE PASCO BBS MAGAZINE Distribution Site Zephyrhills, Florida Driving west out of Colorado Springs on US 24 gives a magnificent view of one of the world's most famous mountains, Pike's Peak. The peak was first sighted by Zebulon Montgomery Pike, an American explorer and army officer, in 1806. The mountain's elevation is not the highest in the state, 14,100 feet, but it is well-known for the annual auto race and an exceptional view. The Pike's Peak Auto Hill Climb dates back to 1916, and it is the second oldest race in the United States after the Indianapolis 500. Spencer Penrose, builder of the Broadmoor Hotel, first staged the international event to publicize the region. Some very big names in the world of auto racing have raced in the Fourth of July event, the likes of Mario Andretti, Bobby Unser, Rick Mears and Parnelli Jones. There was snow in the higher elevations, which did disappoint some by closing down the Pike's Peak Highway for awhile. The leaves were just barely starting to change color, how wonderful this area must look in the fall. Something I had not personally seen in a while were birch trees. Driving in Colorado can be a bit of an experience. State Road 67, which heads south towards Cripple Creek, is the type of road that one would expect to find in the mountains. It is all two lane paved road, but there are treacherous mountain curves and drop-offs of thousands of feet. The Colorado Department of Transportation doesn't waste any money on things like signage or guard- rail. The road can be dangerous when the locals try to pass the pokey tourists, as there may be a lot of right-of-way, but unfortunately it is straight down. I would also think Colorado's drunk driver problem would correct itself. One tip for those who may be renting a car in the mountains, bring a cassette tape or two. Cripple Creek sits at an elevation of 9,494 feet and has an ice cream parlor advertising "Two Mile High Ice Cones." It is no Las Vegas, and it is hard to call something without a craps table a casino, but Cripple Creek is well worth the trip. The limited stakes, $5 maximum bet, blackjack, poker and various slots, can be frustrating. When you start winning the natural tendency is to start increasing your bets, but the limit makes it hard to win big. If I was in Las Vegas I would have played a few large hands right before leaving town, in an attempt to pay for the trip. However, with the $5 limit, and the fact I had a plane to catch, I just cashed in my pocket full of green $25 chips. It is probably the state's loss, as I would have played green until I had won substantially, or lost all my winnings. Despite paying $90 for a room without air conditioning, and dealing with the frustration of trying to park, Cripple Creek was a great way to relax and forget about bulletin boards for a while. Just want to squeeze in a couple of quick comments about the rental car. Some how it seems blatantly obscene for an American car rental company to be renting Japanese cars. "But I think the car is made in Ohio" was the clerk's response. "Maybe, but the profits are going back to Japan" was mine. I don't want to name the company, suffice to say it hurts. And, has anyone actually rented a car for a day and paid the advertised $18.99? My cost: $62.32. I couldn't get all the disks, books, fliers and other accumulated treasures in my luggage, so I carried on most of that in my ONE BBSCON bag. The bag had a bunch of computer program disks and a half dozen or so micro audio cassettes, so I was reluctant to have it scanned at the airport. Despite being told that the x-ray equipment wouldn't hurt anything, I felt like I was being told, 'oh that dog never bites.' Better safe than sorry. The Scanner Supervisor, or want ever you called the person who is in charge, said "this will probably take awhile," in an effort to deter my determination. I replied, "I don't mind sir, I have three hours before my flight." After a dirty look, he told me to empty the contents on the table. I had to laugh when I saw a couple of other people put security through the exact same exercise. I had a few days off to reflect on the events of the week before having to get back to the daily grind. It was a great week with many fond memories, sometimes it is hard to believe everything that happened. Met some interesting people and gathered some good information. Next year the event is headed to Atlanta, and it will be here before we know it. My own personal opinion is that while Atlanta is much closer, is not nearly as intriguing as Colorado Springs. The great scenery of the Rocky Mountains and the opportunity to relax playing a few hands of blackjack is something Atlanta cannot compete with. Add in the fact that this was my first trip to BBSCON and it will be tough to top. The truth of the matter is it will be hard to keep me away from ONE BBSCON '94. + + + + + ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ» º ÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜ ÜÜÜ º º ßßßßßÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ º º ßßÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛßß ßÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ º º ßßßß ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ º º ßÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ º º ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÝ º º Ò Ò ÖÄÄ· ÖÄ· ÖÄÒÄ· ÖÄÄ· ÖÄÄ· ÖÄÄ· ÖÄ· ÖÄÒÄ· º º ºÖ·º ÇÄ ÓÄÄ· º º º º ÇÄĶ ÓÄÄ· º º º Ó½Ó½ ÓÄĽ ÓÄĽ Ð ÓÄĽ ÓÄĽ Ð Ð ÓÄĽ Ð º º Ö· · ÖÄÄ· ÖÄ¿ ÖÄ¿ ÖÄ· ßßßßÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ º º ÖÐз º Ķ ÇÄÁ¿ ÇÄÁ¿ ÓÄÄ· ÞÛÛÛÛ ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÝ º º ÓÄĽ Ð ÓÄĽ ÓÄÄÙ ÓÄÄÙ ÓÄĽ ÞÛÛßÛÛÛ ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ º º ÒÄÄ¿ Ò ÖÄÄ¿ ÖÄÄ· ÖÄÄ· ÖÄÒÄ· ÖÄÄ· ÖÄÄ¿Ò Âß ÜÛÛ ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ º º º ³ º ÇÄÂÙ ÇÄ º º º º ÇÄÂÙÓÄÒÄÙ ÛÛÛ ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÝ º º ÐÄÄÙ Ð Ð Á ÓÄĽ ÓÄĽ Ð ÓÄĽ Ð Á Ð ÛÛÛ ÛÛÛÛßßÛÛÛÛÝ º º ßÛ ÛÛÛÜ ÜÛÛÛÛÛ º º Editor: CLARK D. GILBO ßÛ ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ º º Û ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÝ º º This is a 813 BBS Directory ßÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ º º ßÛÛÛß º º "NOT JUST A BBS LISTING ÜÜþ º º BUT A DIRECTORY" ÜÜßßßß º º º º º º Westcoast 813 BBS Directory, 4348 Plaza Dr. Suite #V103, Holiday, Florida º ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ + + + + + Dennis Hayes and ISDN --------------------- Dennis Hayes received a well deserved Lifetime Achievement Award during the Dvorak Awards at this year's ONE BBSCON in Colorado Springs. He was one of the earliest pioneers of modem technology and founded Hayes Microcomputer Products, Inc. in 1978. Today, the company continues to be a leader in modem development. Dennis Hayes also spoke at the convention on the future of telecommunications in an educational session called An Overview of ISDN Deployment. ISDN stands for the Integrated Services Digital Network, a new telephone technology which will dramatically increase the capabilities of modern telecommunications. What exactly is ISDN? Dennis Hayes explains, "ISDN is a regular telephone service capability that comes in on a twisted pair of telephone lines. But, on that twisted pair of telephone lines you run in the digital mode." The existing technology is reaching its limitations, and this new technology will increase the amount of data which can be transmitted on-line. The day is coming when we will no longer need a modem to call a bulletin board. Dennis Hayes continues, "we have seen speeds increasing very rapidly. Basically the speed of the device you have on your desk-top to work with a PC has been doubling every eighteen months. We have been working very much on V.FAST, and as an interim V.FC, as a way to get 28.8. Now the 28.8 is still going to be less than half the speed of ISDN, but it is something that you can use everywhere even if you don't have ISDN available. Modems will coexist with ISDN, I think, for quite some time. Probably the top speed available is going to be the 28.8. Files are getting bigger, application programs are getting bigger. A number of interesting applications have been developed that are possible at ISDN speeds, that just aren't possible at regular modem speeds." Dennis Hayes also talked, in some detail, about how the transition period will work. When will you see ISDN in your area and how can you find out? Dennis Hayes joked "if you're a glutton for punishment, you can try calling your local telephone company." The availability of ISDN actually depends on where you live. Some telephones companies are forging ahead with the deployment of the ISDN technology, but others are dragging their heels. Bell Atlantic expects to have 87% of the conversion completed by next year and Ameritech should have 78% complete by 1994. If you are stuck with General Telephone, it could be some time before you see ISDN. GTE expects to have a mere 16% of the installation in place by next year. ISDN may someday give us the ability to transmit data at 56 kilo-bytes, an unheard of speed of not so long ago. No one may be more qualified to discuss what brought us to this point than Dennis Hayes. + + + + + . . . . ú ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ° Û°ú Û° ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ° ÛÛ°ú . ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ° ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ°.ÛÛ°úÛÛ°.ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ° Û° ú Û° ÛÛ°.Û°ú Û° ú ÛÛ° ú Û° ú ÛÛ°ú ÛÛ° ÛÛ° Û° ú Û° ú Û° ÛÛ° Û° Û° úÛÛ° ú Û° ÛÛ° ßÛ° ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ° ú Û° Û° ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ°.ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ° ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ° ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ°.ÛÛÛÛÛÛÛ° ÛÛ°. ÛÛ°. Û° ú . . . ú ú ú ú ú ú ÛÛÛÛÛÛ° ÛÛÛÛÛÛ° ÛÛÛÛÛ° ú ú ú ú ú Û° . Û° Û° .Û° Û° . ú ú ÛÛÛÛÛÛ° úÛÛÛÛÛÛ° úÛÛÛÛÛ° ú ú Û°. Û° Û° . Û° . Û° ú ú ú ú ú ú ÛÛÛÛÛÛ° ÛÛÛÛÛÛ° ÛÛÛÛÛ° ú . . ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ» ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ» ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ» ºú YOUR SYSOP:úº º ú Node #1 ú úº úº LOCKED AT ú º . º GENE GEIGER º º (813)323-6023 (1:3603/60) º º ú 38,400 ú º ú ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ º ú Node #2 ú º . ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ º ú (813)327-7823 ú º ú ú ú ú ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ ú ú ú ú St. Petersburg, Florida ú + + + + + S H A R E W A R E R E V I E W ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿ ³ Program ³ Billy the Kid Returns ³ ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´ ³ Author/Vendor ³ Alive Software ³ ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´ ³ Special Requirements ³ 286 or better, VGA ³ ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´ ³ Supports ³ Joystick, sound card ³ ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÁÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ Billy the Kid Returns Review ---------------------------- Billy the Kid Returns, the latest release from Alive Software, is a Western arcade game. The Shareware version has the first three of the ten levels to sample, and it is worth checking out. You are fifteen year old William Bonney, who is better known as Billy the Kid. The first level is "Escape from Silver City Prison," which takes place in 1875 New Mexico. Trying to find your way out of the prison is a little tricky, and at first you may be unable to even find your way out of your cell. But, if you jump high to the right you can break through the crumbling walls. After escaping from prison you find yourself in the second level, "Alone in the Desert." This level plays more like an invaders type game than your typical run, jump and shoot game. You work your way through the desert by avoiding the buffaloes, desperadoes, sand storms, horse thieves and rattle snakes. In level three, "Old Man's Mine," you have to watch out for the rats and other objects in your attempt to solve the level. The object of the game, other than staying alive, is to collect at least ten keys, so you can exit to the next level. Of course, there are valuables, such as guns, money, gold, food and water to gather as you go. Bill Dedes has written an enjoyable game. For those who are worried about senseless violence, Billy the Kid Returns even has a "no-gun option." The game does require a 286 microprocessor or better, and supports sound cards and a joystick. Registration gives the full ten levels and cheat codes for the game. + + + + + ßßßßßßßß ßß ßß ßßßßßßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßßßßßßß ßßßßß (219) 233-8854 ßß ßß ßß ßß 2400-14400 baud ßß ßß ßß ßßßßßßß 24 Hrs. ßßßßß ßßßßßß ßßßßßßß ßßßßß ßßßßßßßß Fidonet (1:227/854) ßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßß Maxnet (90:151/70) ßßß ßßßß ßßßßßß ßßßßß ßßßßßßß ßß Crossnet(73:4200/2) ßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßß Echonet (50:5219/854) ßßßßß ßß ßß ßßßßßßß ßß ßß ßß ßßßßßß ßßßßßßß ßß ßß ßßßßß ßßß ßß ßßßßßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßßßß ßß ßß ßß ßßßßßß ßßßßß ßßßß ßßß ßßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßß ßßßß ßß ßß ßßßßßß ßßßßßßß ßß ßßßßß ßß ßßß ßßßßßß Remote Access Distribution Point SDN/Works! Distribution Point + + + + + Murphy's Law of Computing ------------------------- That which cannot be serviced will require the most service. + + + + + ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ» º ú . ú . . . ú . . . º º ú . ú . ú ú ú º º . . ÉÍÍÍÍËÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍËÍÍÍÍ» . º º ú .ÉÍÍËÍÍ͹ °±²º ArrowHead BBS º²±° ÌÍÍÍËÍÍ» ú º º . . ÌÍ°º²ÍÍÎÍÍÍ͹ (407) 833 - 0878 ÌÍÍÍÍÎÍͲº°Í¹ . .º º . ÈÍÍÊÍÍ͹ °±²º West Palm Beach, Florida º²±° ÌÍÍÍÊÍͼ º º ú ÈÍÍÍÍÊÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÊÍÍÍͼ . . . º ºú . . . . . . . º º. . ú . . . ú ú . ú º º ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ· º º.³ * Member Of The American BBS Association * º.º º ³ Official Distribution Site º º º.³ Pasco BBS Magazine + PC-Sig + Shadoware º º º ³ 1200-9600 V.32/V.42Vis .:. 4.2 Gigs On-Line .:. With Adult Access º.º º ³ * DoveNet ...... SysOp: John Toombs ...... ZoNet * º º º.ÔÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ º ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ + + + + + A Few More Acronyms ------------------- Past issues have run some common acronyms used in BBS messages. BBS in itself is an acronym for Bulletin Board System, as acronyms are abbreviations which stand for a series of words. Some people do use them to cut down on the typing time, so here are a few more acronyms. ATSL - Along The Same Line BAG - Busting A Gut BNF - Big Name Fan BWG - Big Wide Grin EMFBI - Excuse Me For Butting In FOTCL - Falling Off The Chair Laughing GLG - Goofy Little Grin HHTYAY - Happy Holidays To You And Yours IAC - In Any Case IMCO - In My Considered Opinion IMV - In My View ITSFWI - If The Shoe Fits Wear It NIMTO - Not In My Term Of Office OAS - On Another Subject PF&HOMW - Printed, Framed & Hanging On My Wall SOW - Speaking Of Which TOBAL - There Oughta Be A Law YAP - Yet Another Ploy PBM - Pasco BBS Magazine + + + + + ºÉÍÎÍ»º ÉÍÍ» ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ» ÉÍÍ» ºÉÍÎÍ»º ºÈÍÎͼº º ÌÍÍÍ͹ Mulligan's Place BBS ÌÍÍÍ͹ º ºÈÍÎͼº ÈÍÍÎÍͼ ÈÍͼ ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ ÈÍͼ ÈÍÍÎÍͼ ÉÍÍÎÍÍ» P.O. Box 394 ÉÍÍÎÍÍ» ºÉÍÎÍ»º Main #: Mundelein, IL 60060 High Speed #: ºÉÍÎÍ»º ºÈÍÎͼº (708)566-6183 16 Total Lines (708)566-3631 ºÈÍÎͼº ÈÍÍÎÍͼ ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿ ÈÍÍÎÍͼ ÉÍÍÎÍÍ» ³ Up since 1991, Mulligan's Place features over 2 gigs ³ ÉÍÍÎÍÍ» ºÉÍÎÍ»º ³ of storage space, 23,500+ files, over 50 online games, ³ ºÉÍÎÍ»º ºÈÍÎͼº ³ live interactive chats, MajorNet, adult areas, & more! ³ ºÈÍÎͼº ÈÍÍÎÍͼ ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´ ÈÍÍÎÍͼ ÉÍÍÎÍÍ» ³ ***** ASP-Approved BBS ***** ³ ÉÍÍÎÍÍ» ºÉÍÎÍ»º ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´ ºÉÍÎÍ»º ºÈÍÎͼº ³ Sysops: Scott Yaskin and Hollie Vizier ³ ºÈÍÎͼº ÈÍÍÎÍͼ ³ MajorNet ID: Mulligan@MUL and Hollie@MUL ³ ÈÍÍÎÍͼ ÉÍÍÎÍÍ» ³ ³ ÉÍÍÎÍÍ» ºÉÍÎÍ»º ³ Official release site for the following: ³ ºÉÍÎÍ»º ºÈÍÎͼº ³ ³ ºÈÍÎͼº ÈÍÍÎÍͼ ³ Apogee Software, Epic MegaGames, Software Creations, ³ ÈÍÍÎÍͼ ÉÍÍÎÍÍ» ³ Acumen, MVP Software, Cygnus Software, Shadoware, ³ ÉÍÍÎÍÍ» ºÉÍÎÍ»º ³ Digital Reality, & Pasco BBS Magazine! ³ ºÉÍÎÍ»º ºÈÍÎͼº ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ ºÈÍÎͼº + + + + + Word Games ---------- Can you figure out this months word puzzle? Complete the puzzle by choosing the letters from the columns directly underneath. Each letter can only be used once and the left over words spell out a message. ÉÍÑÍÑÍÑÍÑÍÑÍÑÍÑÍÑÍÑÍÑÍÑÍÑÍÑÍÑÍÑÍÑÍÑÍÑÍÑÍÑÍÑÍ» It might be best to hit º ³ ³ ³²³ ³ ³ ³²³ ³ ³ ³²³ ³ ³ ³ ³²³ ³ ³ ³²³²º your print screen key, as ÇÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅĶ it is hard to write on º ³ ³ ³ ³ ³²³ ³ ³ ³ ³²³ ³ ³ ³ ³²³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ º your monitor. The answer, ÇÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅĶ and another puzzle, will º²³ ³ ³ ³²³ ³ ³ ³²³ ³ ³ ³ ³²³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³ ³²³²º appear next month. ÌÍØÍØÍØÍØÍØÍØÍØÍØÍØÍØÍØÍØÍØÍØÍØÍØÍØÍØÍØÍØÍØ͹ ºT³E³E³T³T³N³H³O³W³M³G³I³T³L³E³R³A³T³I³A³G³Aº Last month's answers: ÇÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅĶ There is no job so simple ºL³H³E³H³A³N³W³K³S³H³O³W³I³O³C³S³E³L³W³E³D³Yº that it cannot get screwed ÇÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅÄÅĶ up. Left over letters ºT³G³A³S³O³T³E³E³R³K³O³S³D³V³L³I³N³D³H³T³Y³Sº spell: Do backups ÈÍÏÍÏÍÏÍÏÍÏÍÏÍÏÍÏÍÏÍÏÍÏÍÏÍÏÍÏÍÏÍÏÍÏÍÏÍÏÍÏÍÏͼ frequently. + + + + + ÉÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ» º º º /\ /\ Snowshoe BBS - Snowshoe, West Virginia /\ /\ º º ------------------------------------------ º º º º Now carrying the Pasco BBS Magazine º º º º Home of US Cavenet - Echomail for cavers º º º º Phone 304-572-2531 º º º º Supporting baud rates up to 57,600 º º º º CD-Rom Online Seeknet Echo º º Over 7000 messages º º 3000+ files US Mail Echo º º in message bases º º Apogee & Epic games WV Cavenet Echo º ÈÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍͼ + + + + + ASP Hub Network --------------- The Association of Shareware Professionals has set up a network of bulletin boards, so people will be able to get the latest programs from ASP member authors. There are six boards in the United States and one in Canada. Here are the members of the ASP Hub Network. Attention to Details RyBBS Mira Loma, CA (909) 681-6221 Space BBS Menlo Park, CA (415) 323-4398 The Consultant BBS New York, NY (718) 837-3236 The Break RBBS Dale City, VA (703) 680-9269 The DataExchange BBS Leesville, LA (318) 239-2122 The Twilight Zone Auburndale, WI (715) 652-2758 Knightec BBS Orangeville, ONT (519) 940-0007 + + + + + °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°° ² ² ² Board of Trade BBS New Port Richey, Florida ² ² ² ² Home of the Pasco BBS Magazine ² ² ² ² Home of Shadoware ² ² ² ² Bytor Computer Systems, Inc. presents the PC Help Forum ² ² ² ² (813) 862-4772 12/24/48/96/14400 baud ² ² ² ² Member of... ² ² Electronic Frontiers Foundation and American BBS Association ² ² Official Distribution Site for the following: Alive Software, ² ² Apogee Software, Digital Reality, Epic MegaGames, Gamer's Edge, ² ² MVP Software, Software Creations and Westcoast 813 BBS Directory ² ² BBS Voice Line (813) 863-5886 ² °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°° + + + + + Next Month ---------- The holiday season is almost upon us, so the December issue of the Pasco BBS Magazine will have a look at some Christmas oriented programs. As always, there may be a surprise or two. Look for the December issue, available on November 21. The January issue will be our First Anniversary Issue, and that one should be fun! + + + + + Important Information --------------------- The Pasco BBS Magazine is distributed free of charge, as long as it is unaltered and complete. When uploading make sure the original archive is intact with all files included. The Pasco BBS Magazine is the sole property of the Board of Trade BBS and Richard Ziegler. It is legally copyrighted material and all rights are reserved. No part of this magazine may be used without permission. By submitting something, you are agreeing to allow publication of the material in the magazine. Articles reprinted with permission remain the property of the cited source. Guest contributions may not necessarily reflect the views of the Pasco BBS Magazine. The editor reserves the right to edit submissions, however, this is normally only done to correct spelling or grammatical errors. The editor makes all determinations on what and when articles will run. Every effort is made to insure that all information contained within the Pasco BBS Magazine is accurate, but inadvertently mistakes can appear. The Pasco BBS Magazine, Board of Trade BBS or Richard Ziegler cannot be held liable for information contained within this document. It is intended that this magazine exists for the personal enjoyment of the readers. Rather than place a trademark symbol at every occurrence of a trademarked name, it is stated that trademarks are only being used in an editorial fashion with no intention of any infringement of the trademark itself. More information can be found in the other files distributed with the magazine's archive. Comments, questions, suggestions and submissions can be left on the Board of Trade BBS (813) 862-4772, or mailed to Board of Trade BBS, P.O. Box 1853, New Port Richey, FL 34656. There is also a voice number now available at (813) 863-5886. + + + + + (C)Copyright 1993 Richard Ziegler - All Rights Reserved + + + + +